SLAVE is now a full time reviewer for Guys Like Romance, Too!

Please note that SLAVE's Erotic Review is on hiatus to catch up on reviews.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Time to menage a cowboy!

Thank you Carson for having me today to guest blog on your blog, Gus Who Like Romance!

We’re celebrating Valentine’s Day this month on the blog and that means all those sweet packages, BDSM, and a few little ménages. Which is why I am here to talk about one of my all time favorite books, Heart of a Cowboy. It features three of the hottest men I ever wrote about, a sexy shifter, an Indian shaman, and a wannabe cowboy named Derek.

For those that don’t know me, I’m Missy Lyons and writer erotic romance. I have been published for about six years now but have really been enjoying writing gay characters in my last few books. One of last romances released is a gay ménage with one of my all time favorite characters to write, Derek in Heart of a Cowboy.

But I wanted to say why Derek is one of my favorite characters when I’ve written about hundreds of people. You see like most of us, Derek isn’t perfect and neither is his family. He has a mother in a mental hospital and has therefore spent most of his childhood in foster care, and being gay made it especially hard to fit in with the other kids. Eventually he found it easier to live on the streets than to suffer the constant abuse and sexual exploitation. At least he had control of his life on the streets—or so he thought.

After learning more about him (because he was constantly in my head talking to me) I needed to see Derek got his happily ever after. He had to see life got better than living on the streets, and I believed love was the only road to get there.



Just a quick little something about the book:
Derek is only working for a month to pay off his debt to Jessie, but not everyone likes his openly homosexual lifestyle. He knows what it feels like to be beaten to within an inch of his life so he doesn't give a rat's ass what people think.
The attraction between him and the hunky Indian Ishwar is instantly satisfying. He finds himself begging for more every second he is near him, but when he falls into the arms of a stranger, things only begin to heat up, until an unforeseen peril puts him in danger.
Derek must prove he has the heart of a cowboy, and it will take every ounce of love and strength in his heart to make it through this ordeal alive.
*****
Please enjoy this excerpt from Heart of a Cowboy. Derek has just been bailed out of prison and this is his first day on the ranch.


Derek looked around the small room. It was small by anyone’s standards, barely large enough to hold the bunk beds and a chest of drawers, but it was his. He was lucky enough he wouldn’t be sharing it with anyone else. It felt good to claim the space as his.
“Can’t believe Jesse didn’t bring your clothes.” Luke shook his head, clicking his tongue disapprovingly. “I know that boy has better manners than that. I helped raise him right. He should have dropped by your house to pick up your clothes before he came over here. I’ll take you home this evening if you want.”
“Nah, it’s okay. I told him not to bother.” Derek wasn’t going to admit he was too embarrassed to allow Jesse to see where he lived or how bad his neighborhood was. He would just get his stuff later, if he bothered to go home at all. Better to be thought of as homeless than to go back now. “I don’t have a home to go home to.”
“All right, I’m going to let that lie for now, but it’s okay to accept help when you need it. Around here, we like to think of each other as family.”
“Not me. I am more like the distant relative just passing through.”
“You might be surprised. You may find you like it here enough to call it home.”
“Maybe.” Derek didn’t want to argue with the old man, but he knew better than to try to think he belonged.
“Well, come along. I’ll give you the grand tour.” Luke motioned for him to follow, walking out of the small room down the long hallway, past many doors. Derek peered inside to find rooms similar to his, each with a bunk bed and a dresser. The only difference being they were lived in, and covered with pictures and personal items, not bare walls.
There was an office midway through, with a blond cowboy sitting behind the desk. He looked like he could be a twin to Jesse, with his large muscle-covered frame and those brooding blue eyes.
“Hey, Beau! Got a new boy to add to the payroll.” Luke spread his arm wide.
Derek couldn’t get over how similar the two looked. “You related to Jesse?”
“Hell no! Least not till he marries my sister, Angela.” He gave a playful wink to Derek and reached out to shake his hand. “Now who do I have the pleasure of meeting?”
 Funny, but Angela and this man didn’t look alike at all. Angela was clearly of some Asian descent and this guy couldn’t be any whiter. “Derek’s my name, sir.”
“Yeah, I heard about you. Call me Beau. I handle the books around here, and Jesse talked to me about the situation. Once you work off your debt, I hope you will consider staying. We could use another strong man around here. Jesse keeps talking about expanding his territory and increasing the head of cattle, but he needs more hired hands first.”
“I’ll think about it.” It was one thing to pay back what he owed, but he couldn’t imagine living here for good. He doubted he’d be welcomed that long. He had moved from home to home as a kid because his foster parents would never accept him as he was. They called him damaged goods. When they tried to change him into something he wasn’t, he acted out in more ways than one, taking self-destructive paths that ultimately led him to the group home downtown, and that dead end led to running away to hit the streets.

****
Heart of a Cowboy is available from Siren Publishing and other ebook distributors
To read more or pick up your copy please visit Book Strand

If you are interested in learning more about Missy Lyons you can visit her website here

Twitter: @missylyons  Facebook:

Thank you for having me out today Carson. I really appreciate the opportunity to share about Heart of a Cowboy!

Lots of love,
Missy Lyons

No comments:

Post a Comment