SLAVE is now a full time reviewer for Guys Like Romance, Too!

Please note that SLAVE's Erotic Review is on hiatus to catch up on reviews.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Goddess Fish Book Tours: Event Horizon

Greetings Guys Like Romance, Too! followers!
Carson here to introduce to you one of one of Goddess Fish Book Tours! Today we have Evelyn Shepherd here with her book Event Horizon. Without further delay...take it away Evelyn!


~*~

 
Thanks for having me here, Carson! I’m really excited to talk about the world in Event Horizon and the Theo Bourne Series.


     Vampires have always been a big thing in my life. As a little girl I was fascinated by them. I made several horrible attempts to write vampire stories, none of which were any good. I like to think I’ve gotten better since then.

     When I introduced vampires into the second book in the Theo Bourne series, I wanted to be really careful. Vampires for me are creatures of the night, things of horrifying beauty. I wanted to maintain most of the timeless classic beliefs while also being original. My biggest thing though was I didn’t want to pull a Twilight. No offense to anyone that enjoyed the series, but I’ve never been happy with the idea of day walking vampires. They are nightmares incarnate, thus they belong beneath the moon just like lycanthropes.

     I took inspiration from classics like Dracula and Nosferatu, as well as from more modern classics like The Vampire Chronicles and The Anita Blake series.

     In the Event Horizon world there are actually two kinds of vampires. Isolde, the Mistress of the City, is your basic vampire. She isn’t necessarily evil vampire but she isn’t a good guy. She is what she needs to be to survive. While creating her and her fledglings, I wanted to keep to the root of vampirism. So, as I said, a lot of the classic beliefs apply. Sunlight, fire, religious relics and faith all have an effect on her. She has the ability to intrans a person with her eyes and super-strength.

     Eztli is the second kind of vampire that’s introduced in Event Horizon. As the main antagonist I wanted her to be terrifying. While Isolde is a frightening vampire, Eztli needed to make you afraid to turn off your lights. I took inspiration from the South American legends and Aztec mythology for her, basing her on a breed known as chupacabra. This breed actually mutates and transforms, so the stronger she gets and the more she feeds she morphs from this beautiful woman into this grotesque monster. She still feeds on blood and shares the same weaknesses as the standard vampire, but her abilities go beyond Isolde’s and traditional vampires. She can fly/levitate, she can intrans with not only her eyes but with her voice, as well as she (and the breed) channels telekinetic abilities.

     In Event Horizon Theo has to confront both kinds in various scenarios, which provide him with equal adversaries.

     Either way, I wanted to make vampires something evil, whether it is a necessary evil or just plain demonic. It was fun creating them and I definitely enjoyed using vampires as a plot point in the series. Isolde will definitely be a staple character in the series.

     Thanks for letting me share!

THE AUTHOR WILL BE GIVING AWAY a $20 AMAZON GC and encourage your readers to follow the tour and comment; the more they comment, the better their chances of winning. The tour dates can be found here: http://goddessfishpromotions.blogspot.com/2012/04/virtual-book-tour-event-horizon.html


SLAVE's Review
This was one of very stories I could not even finish. I was confused at the start. I couldn't connect with the characters and felt like things were missing. I was halfway through the book when I decided to just stop. To me Theo came off as disrespectful his elders and everyone around him, selfish and un-necessarily antagonistic with the two men that fought over him.
 This is book 2 in the author’s series. I have read books from a series out of succession before, but had found myself connecting with the characters. Perhaps if this book had hints to events that had already happened that would have helped, I didn’t I didn’t see any. Maybe they came later on, but on my Nook this book was 197 pages and I hadn’t seen any when I stopped reading on page 126.

1 pen



5 comments:

  1. Thought-provoking points...wasn't aware that it was part of a series.

    vitajex(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't read a series out of order. Thank you for your honest review.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know, I pretty much liked the first book, though I'll have to go back and see about all the characters.

    lyra.lucky7ATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be confusing without reading the previous book, but that goes for most of series.

    emiliana25 at web dot de

    ReplyDelete