SLAVE is now a full time reviewer for Guys Like Romance, Too!

Please note that SLAVE's Erotic Review is on hiatus to catch up on reviews.

Friday, August 3, 2012

Writing Sigh-Fi


So. When you're trying to sell a book (to a publisher or to a reader), you have to start by telling them what it is. You describe it, and then they know that it's a thriller or a romance or a chick lit novel. Normally, that's pretty easy. With my other books, my only problem has been blushing like crazy while writing the blurb (they're that kinky).

But then I wrote "Himiko", and I didn't have a clue as to how I was going to describe it. My feeble attempts ended up something like "alternate reality with a good bit of Plato in it." With that kind of eloquence it's actually a miracle that the poor book ever got published…

However, I love my little mongrel of a story, so let me tell you about it. The starting point was when I began thinking "what if" (that's how my books almost always begin, by the way). This time I was thinking "what if Plato really was right."  2500 years ago, Plato had a theory that we're all one half of an original whole being - that is, our other half is out there somewhere, and we aren't whole until we find him or her. What fascinated me about Plato is that this theory is still so strong in our culture: Every romance novel deals with finding your other half. Then I thought: What if Plato really was right - but not for the reasons we thought? Add a mysterious object in space, an alien invasion, and one annoying alien in particular, and you have the outline of "Himiko."

That's the background; however, my explanation still doesn't do much to describe the book - maybe because the story's full of paradoxes: It's got aliens in it, but the genre's probably as far from classic sci-fi as you can come (no fancy technology whatsoever). I thought about calling it futuristic, but well, it isn't. Perhaps "alternate reality" would do, but that just sounds pretentious. During editing, I got so desperate that I actually named my genre "sigh-fi". But I'm still fascinated by my initial thought: What if there's really somebody waiting for us out there, and what if Plato was right… Here's something about the story:  


Have you ever wondered why love stories talk about finding "your better half"? Matt hadn’t, really. Not until humanity got its biggest surprise ever: the arrival of intelligent life from space. When Matt is "harvested" -- kidnapped -- by the Himika, he's terrified. Nothing makes sense until he meets Pietr. Well, he does a lot more than just meet Pietr. Pietr may be the most annoying, smug, sarcastic humanoid Matt has ever met, but it turns out he's also Matt's bonded mate. Because Plato was right. Everybody really does have a better half, a soul mate, and against everyone's better judgment, it seems Pietr belongs with Matt.

But learning how to communicate the Himiko way (preferably without killing himself or Pietr in the process) is hard, and Matt's mentor, Aki, might be even more aggravating than Pietr. It doesn't help when Matt develops powers that not even the Himika understand. Matt isn't sure he's going to make it -- or if he'll have to let Pietr go in order to keep his mate safe and sane.

Giving up isn't an option, though. Even though Matt's pretty sure that Pietr's the most annoying alien in history, he's also sure that his mate is more important to him than anything else. But Matt's mental strength is increasing, and Pietr can no longer hide the one secret he's been desperate to keep. Matt's world falls apart, and he's not sure if he's ever going to be able to put it back together.

But he might not have a choice. The hostility between humans and Himika is increasing, and Matt is forced to face some unwelcome truths about his own nature in order to ensure not only his own survival, but that of his fellow human beings as well. 


So, sigh-fi or alternate reality - or just another love story: I hope you'll like my crazy jumble of genres. The Himiko story is in two parts: "Himiko: Bonding" and "Himiko: Warrior". You can read more about the books on my website and you can contact me here

You can also buy the books, of course:
To buy "Himiko: Bonding" as an eBook: Go to Torquere Press, Amazon, Fictionwise, All Romance, and other sites.
To buy "Himiko: Bonding" in print: Go to Amazon or other sites.

To buy "Himiko: Warrior" as an eBook: Go to Torquere Press, Amazon, All Romance, Fictionwise, and other sites.
To buy "Himiko: Warrior" in print: Go to Amazon and other sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment