SLAVE is now a full time reviewer for Guys Like Romance, Too!

Please note that SLAVE's Erotic Review is on hiatus to catch up on reviews.

Friday, June 28, 2013

Blog tour with Ethan Stone!

For our last post of the month: 
A blog stop by Ethan Stone!

~*~



A few years ago when I was writing Wolf Moon, a novel about werewolves, I swore I would never write a paranormal book again. Imagine my surprise when I was writing Past Tense and a quarter of the way into the story one of my characters, Quinn Reynolds, told me he was a demon hunter. I was not a happy author fellow.
I know a lot of authors love not having boundaries and being able to do whatever they want but that lack of limits was exactly what proved difficult while working on Wolf Moon. I’m a pantster so I didn’t have everything figured out in the beginning so as I was writing I had to decide how far into the fantasy realm I was going.
At one point I debated having the different werewolves have varying paranormal abilities such as psychic powers, telekinesis etc. I decided to stick with more human attributes instead of using extra abilities as sort of a deus ex machina.
In Past Tense when Quinn told me he was a hunter he didn’t tell me much else. I do so hate it when characters are stubborn like that. So it was up to me to figure out how paranormal I was going to make it. I decided to stick somewhat close to the tv show Supernatural. Basically, normal folk dealing with very un-normal things.
And then both Quinn and Jason, my other main character, changed things again. But more on that in a bit.
When deciding what kind of creatures and monsters I scoured many Internet sites but ended up borrowing one used on Supernatural—a Crocotta. These creatures mimic a person’s voice to lure victims in and hide in forests. At that part in the story Jason and Quinn were in Lake Tahoe on a ranch so the location fit perfectly. Adding the ability to mimic a person’s appearance I had the perfect creature to introduce Jason, and the readers, to my paranormal world.
I also copied a bit from the monster in the movie Jeepers Creepers for the next action scene involving a monster. And that’s when Jason threw his little surprise at me.
“Hey, boss man,” he said to me. “I have super powers.”
Well, duh, of course he did, why not complicate my plot a little more. Jason is a down to Earth guy so I went literal with that giving him the ability to control plants. I limited his powers to live flora but he managed to find great ways to use his powers.
And as it turned out Quinn had his own paranormal issues. But exactly how those manifest is one of my favorite parts of the book. The origin of his and Jason’s powers will be explored in future stories.



Jason Holt was a young man when he lost everything; his family, his boyfriend, and his safety. He’s been on the run since, hiding from an evil man bent on revenge. Las Vegas was supposed to just be another pit stop in his travels but when he learns the very man he’s hiding from is in Sin City Jason decides it’s time to stop hiding.


Private detective Quinn Reynolds lost the man he loved several years ago and since then he has been hiding from life. He can’t move on and is obsessed with making the man responsible for his lover’s death pay for the crime.

When Jason comes to Quinn for help, Quinn finds a reason to move on. The dangerous situation around them quickly escalates and together they face an unimaginable evil. Can they survive the darkness and make it through to the light on the other side?



Bio: 
Ethan Stone has recently returned to Oregon after 12 years in Nevada and is working on re-growing his webbed feet. He has been obsessed with two things in his life: books and all things gay. After spending years trying to ignore the voices in his head, he finally decided to sit down and listen to them. What he discovered was a perfect union of his two obsessions.
Link: https://www.wildecity.com/books/gay-mainstream/past-tense/#.UbEdjJxyXFI  


1 comment: