SLAVE is now a full time reviewer for Guys Like Romance, Too!

Please note that SLAVE's Erotic Review is on hiatus to catch up on reviews.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Blog tour with MJ O'Shea!



Thanks for coming by and checking out all the great vampire stories we had this month. We welcome blog tours at Guys Like Romance, Too. So to end this month we will have 2 blog tours! 
Our first wil be from the great MJ O'Shea. So without further adieu the words of MJ O'Shea!
~*~
MJ O'Shea here talking about my new book Catch My Breath. So, I was asked to talk about why I wrote it… and that's a tough one! First of all, YES, haha, it's about a boy band. I can almost feel the eye rolls commencing. So why did I choose to write a book about a boy band? It wasn't about the harmonies and the matching sweaters, although who doesn't love a good sweater vest? :) It was a bit more than that..
Firstly, I've always been a bit fascinated by the vast contrast of what regular folks see in the papers and on the red carpet vs. What behind the scenes reality is in the entertainment industry. There's so many smoke screens and fake relationships, people who are nothing like what they seem, and even more people who will do just about anything for publicity, I started thinking what if I dump a few innocent newbies in that world (which I imagine has a lot of horrible parts to it) and show it through their eyes. What better place than the tween marketing juggernaut that is the boy band? Since it's M/M romance, obviously at least one of them would be a gay guy falling in love and adding that to the pressures of sell, sell, sell just upped the ante. Then I thought, hey, what if there were both in the boy band and they were gay and they together? Then we have a potentially explosive situation.
When the book was being planned, I was going to set it in the future when the band was long over but resulting problems for our MCs were not. Something changed that :)
Now, at the beginning when this idea was half formed, I knew boy bands were back and fun and hey why not write about them BUT I didn't realize that there was a huge clash in a very large and very real fandom going on right as we speak. I had no idea that there was a possibility that the exact thing I wanted to write about really happening.
When I found that out, for a while I was hesitant and nearly chickened out and scrapped it, but then the more I looked into their "situation"* (and I put it in quotes since who ever knows what's really going on behind the scenes for sure) the more I was convinced I really wanted to write the book. I was definitely very inspired by what I've found and, true or not, I think it's a quite a story and it should give people something to think about!
Thanks for having me:)
< 3 MJ

* If you don't know what "situation" I'm talking about, just read this. It's an old blog post I wrote about the subject when I was just getting started with research. True or not, some of the stuff I found massively opened my eyes to the awful mess going on in the entertainment industry all with the express purpose of making money.  The situation 


Danny Bright knows he was born to entertain people, he just needs his big break. So when he hears that Blue Horizon records is holding auditions looking for the next big thing, Danny jumps at the chance. It doesn’t turn out exactly as he’d imagined though. Instead of getting a solo contract, Danny is put with four other guys — into a boyband. Elliot Price thinks he’s headed for college. An impulsive decision to sing in the local talent search changes all that. Big wig producer Sasha Pulaski happens to see him, hands him a business card, and turns Elliot’s life upside down.
Elliot and Danny are close from the very beginning. They love all the guys, but it’s different with each other. Soon, their friendship turns into feelings more intense than either one of them can ignore, as much as they know they should. The other three boys only want Danny and Elliot to be happy, but when their management team and record label find out two of their biggest tween heartthrobs are in a relationship with each other, they’re far less than pleased. Danny and Elliot find themselves in the middle of a circle of lies and coverups all with one bottom line — Money. They have to stay strong and stick together if they don’t want to lose themselves…and each other.
Here's where to find the book:
 Here's where to find me!!

1 comment:

  1. That was a great guest post ;) I have heard a lot about this book and finding out a little behind the scenes info has increased my interest level a lot ;) Gotta check this one out, soon!

    ReplyDelete