SLAVE is now a full time reviewer for Guys Like Romance, Too!

Please note that SLAVE's Erotic Review is on hiatus to catch up on reviews.

Friday, August 23, 2013

Out the box foodie??



Considering I’m relatively new to this genre – I’ve only been writing in it for about a year now, and the fact that I have a tendency to march to the beat of a very different drummer, I guess it wasn’t a surprise that I ended up writing a story slightly outside the box.   

Originally when I decided to submit a story to Decadent’s Foodie Romance Line, I knew exactly what I wanted: Smoking hot men with a history AND delicious but sexy food they could play with – in and out of bed. (Well I guess I should say “table” if I wanted to be more accurate. LOL) And since I didn’t want to have to do a ton a research, I set it in my own backyard – Iowa, the home of corn, lots of pigs and legalized gay marriage.  Add a bit a late night sprinting, some taste-testing of various recipes and I ended up with Isaiah’s and Sean’s story.   

So what makes this story so different?  Well some might say it’s all the delicious food I’ve included in my book. I’m a firm believer of the way to a person’s heart (not just a man’s) is through their tummy. Nothing can make a person feel more loved than our favorite comfort foods.  (And this doesn’t have to be something cooked from scratch just like Grandma made. Even though there is nothing wrong with that – my grams always made some very yummy food, but my comfort food happens to be cold cereal :D )

When I sat down to write this book, I wanted to make sure that the food sizzled nearly as much as the chemistry between my characters. Which I’m sure Isaiah thanked me for, considering he’s a three star chef and loves to cook. In the book he got to make everything from a delicious Czech style pork roast to kolaches (a very yummy Czech pastry that I grew up on).  Oh and I can’t forget the star of the book: Bananas Fosters.  And let me tell you…the inventive things Isaiah did with that dessert should probably be illegal. I’m certain you’ll never find it being served Isaiah’s way in any New Orleans’s restaurant.  But if you do…let me know, because I’m so there. 


Blurb:
Growing up in a foster home in a small Midwest town, Sean Whitcomb planned from the day he turned sixteen to somehow escape. And he does to the big city of Des Moines at a lawyer’s firm. Now up for a shot at a partnership, he needs to deliver the goods, and it’s not what he thinks. No, it’s a family style meal for the founding partners and their spouses. Which causes Sean a major issue, because not only is he a single gay man, but he can’t cook to save his life, and his boss is expecting a home cooked meal — complete with a family or there will be no partnership offer.
In desperation, Sean turns to the man he left behind in his pursuit of the golden ring, Isaiah Waterston. Not only is Isaiah hot enough to still turn Sean’s crank but he’s also a world class chef at one of the hottest eateries in town. Now all he has to do is convince the man he’d left behind to give him a single night of his time, prepare a mouth-watering meal, and pretend to be his lover for a few hours. Sounds easy right? Well it is until Isaiah attaches his own stipulation –an entire weekend with Sean at his mercy.


Excerpt:
Moving at a brisk pace down the hall, Sean noticed a woman and two men sitting in the partners’ dayroom as he walked past. Assuming they were his prospective clients, he tipped his head toward them. “I’ll be with you in just a few minutes.” Then he slipped into his office, pushing the door shut, wondering if he had time to wolf down his breakfast biscuit. The smell of fresh kolaches hit his nose, and his mouth began to water when he spotted the steaming pastries on a linen-covered platter, their golden edges glistening. The distinct aroma of strawberries and apricots tempted him. It whisked him back to another time. A time when he lounged against the counter in Mrs. Garibaldi’s kitchen and watched Isaiah make his favorite breakfast pastry, in hopes of snitching one hot from the oven. And that hadn’t been the sole thing he’d stolen either; he remembered the quick brush of his lips against his boyfriend’s when Mrs. G. had her back turned.

“I brought a peace offering.”

“What?” His gaze flew up to rest on the figure standing next to the window behind his desk. The battle between his lust for food and for the man who’d created the flaky pastries swept through him. Isaiah didn’t play fair. First his demand, and now this. He took a step forward, taking in the faded jeans which hugged the man from his waist to his ankles and the snug white T-shirt which had a graphic design of his former lover’s favorite R&B band. He couldn’t believe his ex was inside his office. “Baby?” The endearment slipped out without thought.

Tucking his fingers into the back pockets of his jeans, Isaiah met him head on. “Look, Sean, I shouldn’t have said what I did last night. I was pissed. I didn’t think you’d agree to it. So, to apologize, I brought over some of your favorite morning pastries. You still like kolaches, right?”
Swallowing, he set his briefcase on the desk. “Yeah, I still love them.”

BUY LINKS:

Author Bio:
Dakota is a simple Midwest girl, who found her passion in storytelling at a young age. She wrote her first novel her freshman year on an old electric IBM typewriter. Now writing in several different genres from erotic romance and BDSM to m/m and paranormal, she is a published author with multiple books under her belt. When she isn’t writing, she’s a devoted band mom and a loving wife.





1 comment: