SLAVE is now a full time reviewer for Guys Like Romance, Too!

Please note that SLAVE's Erotic Review is on hiatus to catch up on reviews.

Friday, November 29, 2013

Country boys end our month!



Howdy, folks! Mychael Black here.

I've been writing (for various publishers) since about 2005. In all that time, my best known books are usually paranormals (vampires, angels, demons, etc). Let's face it: I'm known for my otherworldly guys.

So would you believe me if I told you that two of my strongest men are NOT paranormal in any shape, form, or fashion? Yeah, hard to believe--even for me.

Robbie Sexton and Seth Ellis--two men I never meant to go beyond a single short story--sparked an entire, on-going series: Hearth & Home ( http://www.mychaelblackbooks.com/ebooks/hearth-and-home-breakdown/ ). They're two very different men, but they somehow work. Seth is almost zenlike, whereas Robbie has a rather short-fused temper (not that I *coughs* know anything about that…). Seth is from a town in Texas--Taylor, to be exact. And yes, it does indeed exist. Robbie hails from north Alabama--my old stomping grounds.

I think what I love about this series, beyond the characters themselves, is the setting. The tavern ruins where Robbie and Seth got married? Real. One of my favorite places in Huntsville, Alabama, as a matter of fact. The tavern ruins are on Monte Sano Mountain: http://huntsville.about.com/library/blank/blpictavern.htm That second picture? That's where Robbie and Seth stood during the ceremony.

I was born in Birmingham, Alabama, but I grew up all over north Alabama: Killen, Florence, Huntsville, New Market. I lived in other areas, too: Athens, Madison. No matter where I go, no matter how backwards the state can be (and we won't even go there…), it will always be home.

I hope you enjoy reading about the sights and sounds of north Alabama as much as I enjoyed revisiting them through the eyes of my two contemporary men.

***

Bio:

Call me Katherine or Mychael--I'll answer to both. I'm a mother, partner, student, author by trade, and editor by compulsion. I've been in the publishing business for several years, namely as a writer but also as an editor on occasion. It never fails, though. I always end up editing eventually.

I'm a proud bibliophile, to which my poor sagging bookcases can attest. I read all the time, namely fantasy and romance.

When not writing or reading or editing, I...eat. Maybe sleep. Or watch Spongebob. Yes. I am a self-proclaimed, thirty-something year old Spongebob Squarepants addict. Much to my partner's dismay. It's fun.

If you're curious about what I write (and who wouldn't be?!), then you can find me below:

http://www.mychaelblackbooks.com/
http://www.mychaelblackbooks.com/category/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/mychael.black
https://twitter.com/kjohnson1976

***



Blurb for 'Going Home':

When Robbie’s father dies and he agrees to leave Baltimore for a backwoods farm in Alabama, he’s counting on a lot of things. A funeral. Problems with his brother Russ. A lot of time spent in the closet. What he doesn’t count on is the new farm hand, Seth. The handsome Texan has him drooling from the moment they meet, and has him well in hand not long after. That kind of comfort is just what he needs as family issues rear their ugly heads, but will it last for them after the first rush wears off?

BUY: http://www.torquerebooks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=57&products_id=561

***

Excerpt from 'Going Home':

“Wow. Very nice. You an artist?”

The Southern drawl pulled Robbie’s attention from the sketchbook on his lap to the tall, tanned body standing in front of him. If he looked straight ahead, his line of sight was dead level with the man’s crotch, and even through a layer of faded denim, it was obvious the man was packin’. Gaze continuing upward, Robbie drank in the sweat-slick skin, stretched taut over chiseled muscles and tanned to a soft golden brown. A light dusting of pale brown hair -- bleached gold by the sun -- began at the man’s chest and drew a path down his sun-kissed torso, only to disappear beneath his jeans.

His shoulders were broad and the sleeves of his thin, blue plaid shirt were rolled up, tight around hard biceps. A black cowboy hat sat on his head, cocked forward just enough to hide his face. As Robbie stood, the man tipped the hat back, taking Robbie’s breath away. Eyes greener than the new spring grass reflected the man’s easy smile. The slightest hint of a five o’clock shadow gave him a ruggedly sexy look. Not that he needed the help.

“Name’s Seth Ellis,” the sun god said, extending a hand downward.

Regaining his composure, Robbie stood and brushed the grass off of his right hand before shaking Seth’s. “Robbie Sexton.”

Recognition set in Seth’s eyes then. “Oh, man. Your dad?”

Robbie nodded. “Yeah. We knew it was comin’. Was just a matter of time.”

“Sorry about that,” Seth said.

“Thanks.” As Seth released his hand, Robbie noticed it was done with a bit of hesitation. Oh. Now that was promising. “I was just going to grab a beer. You wanna join me?”

Please say yes. Please, oh, please say yes!

“Sure,” Seth said, grin wide and, if Robbie dared to hope, full of ulterior motives.

Robbie snuck around the porch and into the front yard, snagging two beer bottles from one of the big coolers and making it away without being seen. Hell, yes! The day was looking up! He returned to Seth and handed him one of the bottles.

“Follow me,” he said. “I know some of the best places around here where a man can find some peace.”

“Of what?” Seth chuckled before taking a long drink.

Robbie glanced over at him. “If the right person’s offering…” He left the rest unsaid, waiting to see if Seth took the bait. A smile played across Seth’s lips just before they oh-so-slowly wrapped to the mouth of the beer bottle.

“So,” Seth said, “is he offering?”

No comments:

Post a Comment