SLAVE is now a full time reviewer for Guys Like Romance, Too!

Please note that SLAVE's Erotic Review is on hiatus to catch up on reviews.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Jacob Flores' Blog tour stop #7



Hello, all! My name is Jacob Z. Flores, and I’m glad to be here at Guys Like Romance, Too. I really appreciate my hosts for extending an invitation and for agreeing to be a stop on my blog tour promoting my latest Dreamspinner release, When Love Gets Hairy. This is the third book of the Provincetown Series, but don’t worry: the books don’t have to be read in order of publication. I wrote each one so readers could enjoy them in any order they wished to pick them up. I like to make things as easy on my readers as possible. Who doesn’t like that?

Today, though, I’d like to talk about the cover for When Love Gets Hairy and why I chose this particular image.



The artist responsible for the cover, as well as all of the covers for the Provincetown Series, is Michael Breyette. If you haven’t seen Michael’s paintings before, then get yourself out from under that rock and head over to his website by clicking this link. Go ahead; click it. You’ll thank me later. I promise.

Was I right? Of course I was! Michael’s artwork is stunning and, well hot! Not only is he a fabulous artist, but one of his favorite subjects is Provincetown. Naturally, there was no one else I wanted to grace the covers of this series. His images and my words were made for each other. Well, at least that’s what I tell myself.

One of the aspects I appreciate the most about Michael’s art (besides the sexy men he paints) is the mood of his images. They are fun and flirty, which perfectly captures the tone I set for the entire series and for Provincetown itself. Each image that I’ve chosen for the covers perfectly captures a moment or an emotion from the book.

The piece I chose for When Love Gets Hairy does both.

The title of the painting is “Beach Boys,” and there is a scene in the book where Nino and Teddy, who are still guarding their true feelings for each other, have a fun day at Herring Cove beach with their friends and with each other. It’s a turning point in the story. Both characters realize there is more going on between them than their rocky first meeting, the verbal sparring they engage in, or the budding friendship that has captured them both by surprise. When they emerge from the ocean, as the characters do on the cover, they are new men who are perhaps ready for what the other has to offer.

It’s a whimsical moment filled with friendship and longing, and that’s exactly why I chose “Beach Boys” as the cover for When Love Gets Hairy. It was like the cover was painted specifically for Nino and Teddy. I would’ve been foolish to pass it up, right?

Before I head back to my part of the Internet, I want to thank everyone here at Guys Like Romance and the readers who joined me today.

For those interested, I have included a blurb and excerpt below. Additionally, as part of my blog tour I’m hosting a giveaway.

The When Love Gets Hairy Giveaway Contest

All you have to do is leave a comment to this post, and your name is entered to win one of eight cool prizes, including books from my backlist to gift cards from Amazon to some of my author swag. a Rafflecopter giveaway
 

Blurb:

As vain as he is beautiful, Nino Santos happily lives life waiting for the next ferry full of fairies to bring him new conquests. As long as they aren’t hirsute, he’s all in. So he's shocked to wake up after a beach party he cannot remember with a hairy naked man lying next to him.

Teddy Miller doesn’t remember the “Bear Week” party either, much less the Abercrombie & Fitch model wannabe next to him. Teddy doesn’t give two cents about appearances, but guys like Abercrombie don’t return the favor. That’s why he prefers men with extra fur and padding over carbon copy clones of perfection—a type of man Teddy is far too familiar with.

When Nino and Teddy glimpse each other the next morning, it’s loathing at first sight. Instead of exchanging phone numbers, they exchange insults and vow never to see each other again. In Provincetown, however, escaping a trick best forgotten isn’t easy. Mutual friends and chance circumstances keep Nino and Teddy in each other’s orbit. But are they fighting each other or the attraction growing between them? The answer lies amid Provincetown’s windswept dunes and the night neither of them can recall.

Excerpt:

Nino didn’t have time for this. He had a trick to get to and pound the shit out of, but this damned French bulldog wouldn’t leave him alone. No matter how many times he told it to shoo, it arfed at him and continued to follow him down Commercial Street.
He had to admit the little guy was cute though. His squashed nose and huge-ass ears

made him giggle, even though he was also making Nino late for his fuck.

“All right, boy,” Nino said as he turned to face the dog. “You need to go back to your owner. Now.”
The dog sat down in front of him. He was apparently going nowhere. Typical bulldog. Stubborn to the core.
“You’re not a very good dog, are you?”
His new furry friend arfed in response. When did he suddenly become irresistible to the short and the hairy?
Nino walked a couple of steps backward, testing to see if he could move without being followed, but the persistent pup matched his steps. When he stopped, the dog stopped. Evidently, he wasn’t going anywhere without a shadow.
He surveyed the crowd of bears who streamed around him in hairy packs. He scanned the crowd, looking for a frantic owner searching the street for his lost baby. He could find no panicked, wide eyes anywhere.
“Apparently no one’s missing you,” Nino announced to the dog that looked up at him and snuffed. “Did your owner abandon you because you’re a pain in the ass?”
At this, the dog arfed again and then proceeded to sniff his leg. He inhaled at his flesh so roughly that he sprayed Nino’s leg with dog snot.
“That’s gross,” Nino said as he wiped his leg. “I’m used to sharing a drink with a new boy before he splooges all over me. And you, my friend, are definitely not my type.”
Undeterred, the dog continued his sniffing quest. Apparently, Nino had picked up some scent his new pal liked.
“Cute dog,” some random bear commented.
“He’s not mine,” Nino responded. “You want him?”
The man didn’t reply. He simply smiled and waved good-bye to him and his furry little stalker.
“Not even strangers want you,” Nino said as he looked downward. The dog’s brown eyes stared up at him with complete and utter devotion. “Why are you looking at me like that, you crazy dog? You don’t even know me.”
His friend sniffed the air around Nino and chuffed. If Nino didn’t know any better, he’d have said that the dog was arguing with him. As if he knew Nino by smell alone, which was entirely impossible.
“All right. You win.” Nino sat down on the curb, and the pooch immediately crawled onto his lap, making himself at home. “Jeez, you’re worse than most of the guys I meet. Crawling on my junk the first chance you get.”
He stroked the pooch’s back and then scratched at his backside, which elicited a dreamy stare from the Frenchie. He apparently enjoyed butt play. A dog after his own heart. “I guess you’re not too bad.”
As he continued to dole out the loving the dog craved, Nino searched the dog for identification. “You don’t have a tag. That means you’ve got a dumbass for an owner.”
His friend snorted.
“You don’t like when I talk about your master, huh?”
His reply was a snuff.
“Okay, fine. I won’t call your owner names. Even though he is a dumbass.”
The dog once again snorted a mist of dog boogers. This time in Nino’s face.
“You did that on purpose. Didn’t you, you little fucker?”
Suddenly, the dog’s ears perked up, and he looked back down Commercial. “What do you hear, boy? Is that your owner?”
“Louie!” A voice called out. The panic was unmistakable.
“Here, Louie, Louie,” someone else said. The voice belonged to a woman. Probably some straight couple who came to P-town to gawk at the gays.
The dog, who he suspected was called Louie, continued to stare through the crowd of bears, sniffing the air. He was apparently waiting for his owner to appear, so Nino joined him. Who was the idiot who had taken his dog out without a leash or a dog tag?
Whoever they were, he planned to give them hell for making him late for the hookup he desperately needed.

You can buy When Love Gets Hairy here:





Jacob Z. Flores lives a double life. During the day, he is a respected college English professor and mid-level administrator. At night and during his summer vacation, he loosens the tie and tosses aside the trendy sports coat to write man on man fiction, where the hard ass assessor of freshmen level composition turns his attention to the firm posteriors and other rigid appendages of the characters in his fictional world.

Summers in Provincetown, Massachusetts, provide Jacob with inspiration for his fiction. The abundance of barely clothed man flesh and daily debauchery stimulates his personal muse. When he isn’t stroking the keyboard, Jacob spends time with his husband, Bruce, their three children, and two dogs, who represent a bright blue blip in an otherwise predominantly red swath in south Texas.


And I urge readers to visit me at any or all of my social media sites:
Website/blog: http://jacobzflores.com


Follow Jacob's When Love Gets Hairy Tour Schedule

1/1/2014 Joyfully Jay
1/2/2014 Michael Rupured
1/3/2014 Dawn’s Reading Nook
1/6/2014 Fallen Angel Reviews
1/6/2014 It’s Raining Men
1/7/2014 Literary Nymphs Hotlist
1/8/2014 Guys Like Romance Too
1/9/2014 Long & Short Reviews
1/10/2014 Sid Love



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me here today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a damn cute doggie!
    ninnadh(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you picked that cover. It is wonderful (and your bio is cracking me up.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Playful yet sexy, I like it!

    vitajex(at)Aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete