SLAVE is now a full time reviewer for Guys Like Romance, Too!

Please note that SLAVE's Erotic Review is on hiatus to catch up on reviews.

Monday, March 10, 2014

A look behind with FE Feeley


The inspiration for Objects in the Rearview Mirror came to me on the way back from the beach one evening.  As my husband and I pulled off the sand and onto the highway, I leaned over and turned on the radio and my mix CD kicked on halfway through a song.  As I drove down that stretch of superheated highway, as the sun sank below the horizon and the stars came out to play, the melody for Objects in the Rearview Mirror by Meatloaf began.

That song always makes me a little melancholy but it never ceases to amaze me with its instrumentation, vocals, and most importantly to me, lyrics.  As I listened, I thought about my own life and life experiences and the road I had traveled and since this song was primarily about ghosts of the past, I wondered about my own. So, Objects was started not on I-70 going through Kansas, but on the highway leading off of Crystal Beach on the Gulf of Mexico.

I’ve chewed on this book for so long after I wrote it, much more than my previous novel, The Haunting of Timber Manor, for two reasons. One of the reasons is whether or not, when it came time to promote the book, if I would share where my inspiration came from.  I’ve fretted over it, thought about it, discussed it, worried about it, discussed it some more and now, I feel like I owe it to you. So here it is.

This is my second reason: Objects is part truth, part fiction. I won’t tell you which parts but as adults I am sure you can figure it out. To write a good book, or a great song, the writer has to dig deep and find something that has been on their mind or in their heart, to share.  Well, the book is about a haunting, but its also about Child Abuse and about confronting Fear.

I guess some people would wonder why you would put yourself out there like that, but the truth of the matter is, writing, like music, is a very powerful form of communication. These mediums, along with other forms of art, find  ways to speak to the soul of an individual and in doing so sets the stage for change in the world as these individuals begin to discuss what they see or hear, en mass.   

Think about the songs of the sixties and seventies during Vietnam. Think about the music during that same period concerning Civil Rights. Uncle Tom’s Cabin before the Civil War. So, in a way, it’s my way of giving you a part of me, to show you my humanity, and if you have had similar experiences, to show you you’re not alone.  Its also a way for people to get rid of the weight they carry around with them, for me, this is also true.

The book has received a couple of five star reviews so far, and one four star. But after its release, someone messaged me and thanked me for putting the conversation out there and since it was about abuse, handling it delicately and with care…this person was a survivor. The fear, anxiety, and difficultness of writing this book suddenly evaporated as I read their message.  Regardless of whether or not this sells well, whether or not people like it or even buy it, doesn’t really matter at this point. What does matter, honestly, is that I am no longer looking in the rear view mirror but forward out onto the horizon ahead of me.
Your Biggest Fan
F.E.Feeley Jr




Their new home on Frederick Street in Clay Center, Kansas, was supposed to give writer Jonathan David and his husband, clinical psychologist Dr. Eddie Dorman, an opportunity to enjoy married life. Jonathan has just released his first major bestseller, and he hopes to finally escape his traumatic past and find the quiet existence he has always craved. Eddie has taken a job at the Kansas State University psychology department, and they intend to begin anew.

They have barely settled in when the nightmare begins. Noises, disembodied voices, and mysterious apparitions make Jonathan’s life hell. Part of the house has decided to bare its teeth, show its jagged edges, and bring back the worst of Jonathan’s past. At first, Eddie cannot perceive the spectral events and fears for his husband’s sanity. When he’s also affected by the haunting, he’s unsure of what to do but refuses to be beaten.

Together, they seek a way to fight the forces trying to tear them apart. The world is a frightening place, but confronting their fears plunges Jonathan and Eddie into absolute horror.



Author Bio:
F.E. Feeley Jr was born and raised in Detroit, Michigan and lived there for twenty years before joining the military. He is a veteran of the US Armed Services; having done a tour in support of Operation Iraq Freedom in 2002-2003, he turned college student, pursuing a degree in political science. He now lives in Southeast Texas where he is engaged to the love of his life, John, and where they raise their 1½ year old German shepherd, Kaiser.

As a young man, reading took center stage in his life, especially those novels about ghosts, witches, goblins, and all the other things that went bump in the night. His favorite authors include such writers as Stephen King, Dean Koontz, and Anne Rice, whose work allowed him to travel to far off places and meet fascinating and scary characters. As a gay man, he wishes to be able to write good fictional literature for those who love the genre and to write characters that readers can relate to. All in all, he is a cigarette smokin’, whiskey drinkin’, rock and roll lovin’, tattoo wearin’ dreamer of a man with a wonderful partner who puts up with his crap and lets him write his stories.


Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheHauntingOfTimberManor
Twitter:  Frederick Frederick @fefeeley
Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6806438.F_E_Feeley_Jr_
Blog URL:  http://fefeeleyjr.blogspot.com
Buy Links:
http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=4690&cPath=55_738
http://www.amazon.com/Objects-Rearview-Mirror-Memoirs-Wraiths-ebook/dp/B00I91RR8U/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392174642&sr=1-1&keywords=f.e.+feeley+jr



No comments:

Post a Comment