SLAVE is now a full time reviewer for Guys Like Romance, Too!

Please note that SLAVE's Erotic Review is on hiatus to catch up on reviews.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Hump Day with Dreamspinners Press: A M Burns



Thom Woodman Interview
A.M. Burns

Today I’m interviewing Thom Woodman, a teenage bigfoot attending Cripple Creek Victor High School in Cripple Creek Colorado. Thom appears, most of the time as an average human guy, but he’s got another side that is big and shaggy.
AB: Thom, what’s life like for a bigfoot in Cripple Creek?
TW: We don’t actually call ourselves bigfoot. We’re Oh Mah. It’s a Hoopa Indian name that means boss of the forest. Sounds so much cooler than bigfoot.
AB: Okay, that does sound cooler.
TW: Yeah. But Cripple Creek is good. My folks’ property backs up to a state park, so we’ve got plenty of room to run when we want to. But that sometimes leads to trouble.
AB: What kind of trouble? Cripple Creek seems like a fairly sleepy little town.
TW: --chuckles—It can be a bit sleepy, but lately it’s been a bit more hectic. Well, maybe not the whole town. It seems to be focused more on me and my life. We’ve had bigfoot hunters prowling the forest lately. I can’t seem to get away from them.
AB: Really. So they can track you even in your human disguise? How does that disguise work by the way.
TW: It really felt like they were able to track me in my human guise. I don’t know if they could or if it was just coincidence. It got really irritating. I couldn’t go out without running into them. Everywhere I turned there they were. I really wish someone would explain to me why they kept shooting at me. Trust me, having bullets flying every time you outside gets old quickly.–smiles—I can’t tell you how the disguise works, it’s a Oh Mah secret.
AB: I’ll leave you with your secrets. But you’re sitting here talking with me, I take it you survived being shot at.
TW: Yeah. Being Oh Mah, it takes a lot to kill me. Now, don’t get me wrong, a bullet in the right place will still kill me. I got shot by these idiot hunters, and so did my uncle. He actually had a history with the main hunter. I just don’t get why these people can’t leave us alone. Is it too much to ask to just give us some piece? How would humans feel if we were prowling around in the woods trying to get pictures of them running naked?
AB:—chuckles—I’ll give you that. So with Cripple Creek being so small, I guess the dating pool is rather small. Do you find that a challenge?
TW: I’m sure if you asked my friend Sophia, you’d get a much more complex answer. For me, I don’t really see it, but I never went out looking for a mate. I just happened to stumble onto Ben and we didn’t have much of a choice, we bonded and he’s the only one I care about. I don’t need to look for another mate. Ben’s the only one for me.
AB: How well has Ben adapted to bonding to you? Is he settling in without any major problems?
TW: I wish it had gone a little smoother, but once we got through the initial shock of everything he’s cool with it. But the initial shock of things was a bit much for him. But he’d been through a lot and is settling in nicely. That’s really good, cause I think he’s the sexiest guy out there.
AB: That’s good. It’s important that you think he’s sexy. So anything else you want to add before we wrap up the interview?
TW:—looks thoughtful—So you save the hard question for last. I don’t really know. I think everyone needs to find a way to dodge the bullets of life, if they are real, verbal, or emotional, and find a way to make love work.
AB: Thanks for the interview Thom. I hope you and Ben have a long and happy life together.



“Hunters” Blurb:

A bullet sprayed bark off a tree as he dashed past. Thom’s heart pounded as hard as his feet. He’d heard tales from the family about being shot at by humans, but it hadn’t happened to him before. The next bullet breezed through the long brown hair on his right arm. Wishing he was as fast as his brothers, Thom tried to speed up his stride. His long legs pumped harder.
As he ran through a big grove of aspens, he nearly plowed into a tall blond teen. For a second their eyes met. Something in that blue gaze touched Thom. He stopped and blinked. The blond stood there with a startled look on his face. Another bullet hit a tree above Thom’s head.
“Run!” he shouted so the boy would understand him and took off to his left, hoping the hunters wouldn’t hurt the kid.
“Tommy, what’s wrong?” his mother’s thoughts intruded in his brain. Like any good mother, she always knew when one of her children was in trouble.
“I got spotted by hunters. I’m trying to outrun them.” He glanced up at the sun beating down through the sparse trees covering the hillside.
“Can you circle back to your father and brothers?”
“I didn’t want to lead hunters to them.” The only thing worse than being spotted was leading people toward others.
“They’re disguised. They’ll be fine. They can run interference for you. Either that or find some shadows.”
Thom shook his head, even though he knew she couldn’t see it. “It’s too bright out right now for shadows unless I can make it to those old mineshafts.”
“Can you get your disguise back in place?”
Another bullet passed entirely too close. “I don’t think so. I’m too distracted to relax enough to make it work.” He ran uphill toward some large boulders that lay scattered around on the hillside. The boulders would give him an advantage his father and brothers wouldn’t have. Even undisguised, he was small enough to hide behind them. Occasionally, being the runt of the family had advantages.
He made it into the boulders and the sound of pursuit died back. For a moment, Thom paused and listened. The hunters breathed loud enough he knew they were nearly as exhausted as he was.

A.M Burns Bio:
A.M. Burns lives in the Colorado Rockies with his partner, sdogs, cats, horses, and birds. When he’s not writing, he’s often fixing fences, splitting wood, hiking in the mountains, or flying his hawks. He’s enjoyed writing since he was in high school, but it wasn’t until the past few years that’s he’s begun truly honing his craft. He is the president of the Colorado Springs Fiction Writers Group. www.csfwg.org. Having lived both in Colorado and Texas, rugged frontier types and independent attitudes often show up in his work. You can find out more about A.M. and his writing at www.amburns.com, or follow him on tiwitter @am_burns

Social media links.
Website: www.amburns.com
Mystichawker Press Author Page: http://www.mystichawker.com/amburns.html
Colorado Springs Fiction Writers Group http://www.csfwg.org


No comments:

Post a Comment