The Appeal of Vampires
First of all, thanks so much for hosting me! I was told this is vampire month. I hope to write a juicy vampire book someday. I love them---from Dracula to Angel to True Blood—I welcome the vampire story. Here are some reasons why:
1. Our ancestors were bloodthirsty and so are we. In real life, I’m a total pacifist and rather wimpy about going to horror movies. However, I can see the primal call of blood.
2. The vampire has no rules about sexuality. I think one of the appeals is how free vampires are with their intended victims. They will suck male or females equally. It is rather liberating to not have gender be a factor when it comes to their “thirst.”
3. Immortality allows you time to right all your fuck-ups. Life is messy. We make mistakes. I’d like an eternity to get it right.
4. Youth and beauty are always wanted. Vampires don’t age. We are obsessed with aging in most cultures.
5. Fear is cathartic. I once read an essay by Stephen King where he spoke of “feeding the monster.” The monster is inside of us all, and by writing or reading vampire books, we can feed that dark part of us. We can feed that unconscious fear and in doing so, we feel better about our real life fears.
My Upcoming Release:
Okay, I have to admit it has nothing to do with vampires (although I now would like to write a vampire story using my above reasons). Even though The Only Guy is not a vampire story, I hope you will enjoy it. It involves pen pals, unrequited love, and hurt/comfort.
And who knows? Maybe one of them will be bitten in a sequel!
Thanks for hosting me today!
Aaron Weiss knows how to escape. Years ago, he ran from a romantic disappointment and impulsively joined the Army. Now, he’s forced to take a medical discharge and readjusting to life at home proves a challenge.
Jesse Ross knows how to hide. He realizes he’s an oddball, and that he’s an outsider within his own family. He also knows his secret love since childhood, Aaron, only wants his good-looking, favored older brother. Yet Jesse could never completely abandon his intense feelings for Aaron. Over the years, Jesse was a faithful pen pal to him. Still, he's shocked to his core to find Aaron on his doorstep.
As long-buried secrets and past hurts take center stage, the two are overwhelmingly drawn to each other. But it’s their future that may force them to risk everything.
Buy links: http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=5002
BIO: Skylar M. Cates loves a good romance. She is quite happy to drink some coffee, curl up with a good book, and not move all day. Most days, however, Skylar is chasing after her husband, her kids, and her giant dog, Wasabi. Skylar dreams about spending her days writing her novels, walking along the beach, and making more time for her good friends. On a shoestring budget, Skylar has traveled all over in her early years. Although, lately, the laundry room is the farthest place she has visited, Skylar still loves to chat with people from all around the globe.
https://www.facebook.com/ skylar cates