SLAVE is now a full time reviewer for Guys Like Romance, Too!

Please note that SLAVE's Erotic Review is on hiatus to catch up on reviews.

Friday, August 29, 2014

99 cent through Labor Day!

Thank you for having me as a guest today! I’m thrilled that Blue Skye is available for .99 cents at all vendor sites through Labor Day (thank you Musa Publishing!).

Blue Skye is dear to my heart. It’s one of my first published m/m romances, and not only does Blue Skye kick off my popular Woodland Village series but I have a soft spot for the characters Drew and Skye. This post allows me to reflect on these characters and my own writing.

I’m partial to best friends falling in love as well as second chances, which are both elements in Blue Skye. Skye Taylor and Drew Adams have been best friends since high school, and always had an attraction for each other. But Drew, born of wealth and privilege, had his life planned out from the moment he was placed in the cradle. With his future decided, Drew hadn’t the courage to climb out of his box created by his father’s expectations.

In contrast, Skye was raised by unconventional parents to express and be true to himself. His parents accepted he was gay, and were proud of Skye’s artistic accomplishments. They accepted Drew as part of their intimate family since he was Skye’s best friend. Though Drew loved Skye’s family, his own familial pull was to conform, especially since he’s the oldest son. Drew’s one rebellion against his father was choosing architecture over business in college.

I enjoy writing stories about characters’ finding the courage to embrace their originality and expression. Skye Taylor doesn’t have a problem with expressing his desires. In fact, sometimes this gets him in BIG trouble. But Skye’s ability to go after what he wants is also his strength, and Drew must draw on this strength to break free of his confines

I was surprised to find that after I had finished the second and third book in the series, I had woven within all three love stories an exploration of the father/son relationship. Drew has to stand up to his father in book one. In book two, Ryan’s Harbor, Martin has to accept that his conservative father will never fully accept him as gay. In book three, John’s Match, John has to accept his father’s illness and face losing the last of his family and being alone.

I believe parents sometimes put children behind imaginary bars without harmful intent. Expectations can play a major role in decisions a child makes, especially the desire to please a parent. I had a good relationship with both my parents, and yet, especially when I was younger, many decisions I had made were based on my parents’ expectations and their beliefs, not mine.

I don’t know anyone who doesn’t live in a box of some making. I believe we are put here on Earth to learn to break down these imaginary walls that we built up with our negative thoughts or someone else’s dreams. Maybe that’s why I love writing romances. Love has a way of blasting down walls to the heart. Usually, it’s a hell of a ride getting to the happily ever after, but that’s what makes writing romances challenging and fun!

Award winner, Viki Lyn is a successful writer of sexy romance, both gay and straight. Many of her books are All Romance Ebook best sellers. She is a Rainbow Award winner and runner-up in the paranormal category. She likes to try new things, and at times, breaks the rules of her genre. But always, it’s the romance that drives her stories to their final happily-ever-after.

You can find Viki at:


Buy Links:

Blue Skye

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Jaxx for letting me post today! I'm visiting family in California. Crazy times since we're Italian! :) I love Skye and Drew, the characters in Blue Skye, that they always show up in the books too. This is what's so fun writing a series...I can always see them again for a visit. :)

    ReplyDelete