SLAVE is now a full time reviewer for Guys Like Romance, Too!

Please note that SLAVE's Erotic Review is on hiatus to catch up on reviews.

Monday, October 20, 2014

Totally Bound Mondays with Elizabeth Coldwell



Silver Screen Scares

Who doesn’t enjoy a good scary movie? According to a group of Harvard mathematicians, “Do you like horror movies?” is one of the three questions you need to ask a potential partner to find out if you’re compatible. (The other two, in case you’re interested, are, “Have you ever travelled around another country alone?” and, “Wouldn’t it be fun to chuck it all and go live on a sailboat?”) If you both give the same answers to two out of the three questions then you can look forward to a long and happy life together. At least, that’s the theory.

More importantly, with Halloween on the way, watching a scary movie provides the perfect excuse to get closer to your significant other by snuggling up with them on the couch or burying your head in their shoulder as a masked maniac stalks the cinema screen. Of course, if you’re the kind of guy who likes old-school horror classics like Nosferatu and Frankenstein and you’re dating someone whose idea of a good storyline involves severed limbs and buckets of blood, you may need to reach some agreement over your choice of viewing, but then all relationships involve an element of compromise.

But what happens when your everyday life turns into something spookier than anything on screen? That’s what happens to struggling writer Evin in The Spirit of Stage 13. When he wanders onto a movie set that’s been abandoned for years, he comes face to face with the ghost of a handsome young actor, Jack Buckler. Jack’s tragic death caused the ill-fated shoot of Macbeth to be closed down, and now his spirit remains trapped in the old props. Evin doesn’t believe in the power of the supernatural, but his encounter with Jack soon has him changing his mind, as this extract shows:



Blurb for The Spirit of Stage 13:
Evin thought the ghosts of old Hollywood were only a myth…until he stepped on to Stage 13, and discovered that even spirits need to be loved…
Struggling screenwriter Evin has had his latest pitch rejected and is in search of that elusive break when he strays on to Stage 13 at Monument Studios, the setting for a famously cursed film production of Macbeth, now only used for storing props. Certain he's not alone on the deserted stage, he finds himself in the presence of Jack, a hot young actor who died on the Macbeth set.
Jack believes he's destined to stay trapped within the stage set till he meets the man he's destined to spend the rest of his life with, and that the one thing he needs to do in death that he never did in life is experience mindblowing sex. Evin is only too happy to help Jack make his fantasies come true, falling hard for the spectre in the process, but can love really prove to be stronger than death?

Excerpt:
Evin fought not to gape in wonder as the ghost of Jack Buckler walked towards him. He should have been afraid, but he found himself mesmerised by the actor’s aura.
“So here I am,” the spectre said. “Do you like what you see?”
Licking dry lips, Evin managed to reply, “Very much so.”
“I’ve been watching for a long time, seeing so many people come and go. Waiting for the right one to turn up. Never knowing quite who it would be…until I saw you.”
Jack was so close now he could reach out and run a finger down Evin’s cheek. His brown eyes were twin pools of desire, sucking Evin into their depths.
“You know why Chastain cast me in his film?” Jack asked, half to himself. “Not because he thought I was going to be the greatest actor of my generation or any of that nonsense. No, he chose me because he wanted to fuck me—pure and simple. He saw my head shot and couldn’t stop thinking about having my lips wrapped round his cock. Oh, don’t look so shocked. It’s how Hollywood worked then, and it’s how it still works now, unless I’m very much mistaken.”
“And…and did he?” Evin asked, curious despite himself.
Jack shook his head. To Evin’s eyes, he didn’t look too disappointed about the fact. “We came close a couple of times, but we were always interrupted. I’ve no doubt that if things had been different, we’d have had a few drinks at the wrap party, and I’d have given myself to him, and I’d have enjoyed every minute of it. But seems it was destined not to happen. And I’ve been here ever since, waiting for the man I am meant to give myself to.”
“You really think that’s the reason you’re here?”
“I’ve had a long time to think about it. When you don’t move on from the place where you die, it’s because you have unfinished business, right? And up until then, I’d done everything I’d dreamed of. I’d got out of Iowa, I’d come to Hollywood, I’d made a couple of movies. I was on the way up. The only thing I hadn’t done was found the man I could have spent the rest of my life with. And I can’t help thinking that I’m stuck here until I do.” He looked thoughtful for a moment. “Actually, that’s not the only thing I hadn’t done. Somehow, I hadn’t got round to having really mind-blowing sex.”
As he spoke, he wrapped his arms around Evin’s neck, pressing tightly to him so Evin felt the faint promise of the other man’s cock beginning to stir into life against his thigh.
“Kiss me,” he murmured. “It’s so long since I’ve been properly kissed.”
 “Well, since you ask so nicely…”
As his mouth came down on Jack’s, Evin wondered what anyone else would see if they walked on to the stage. Would they be aware of Jack’s presence, or would they see him by himself and simply think he’d gone out of his mind? Maybe I am out of my mind, but what a way to go. Then all indecision was swept away as Jack returned his kiss with the hunger of a starving man.
He’d been expecting the spectre’s lips to be cold, but was thrilled to find them warm and soft on his own. Jack’s fingers twined in his hair as they shared a slow, sensual kiss.
When Evin pulled away to nuzzle at Jack’s earlobe, Jack sighed in bliss. “That was certainly worth waiting for. But do you do everything else as well as you kiss?” His eyes flashed with amusement, teasing Evin, willing him to go further.
“Be a good boy, and you’ll find out,” Evin promised him.


No comments:

Post a Comment